셈 -- counting; payment; sense; circumstances.
셈 most commonly means counting numbers. It could also be taken to mean calculation, computation or arithmetic. The Sino-Korean word for this is 계산.
- 셈 counting, calculation, computation, figures, sums
- 간단한 셈 simple figures
- 셈하다 to count, calculate
- 셈을 잘하다 to be good at figures, sums, math
- 셈을 배우다 to learn to count, do calculations
- 셈에 밝다 to be good at figures
- 셈에 서투르다 to be poor at figures
- 셈에 정확하다 to be exact int he calculations
- 셈에 넣다 to count someone in
- 셈이 틀리다 to make a mistake in numbers, miscalculate
- 셈이 빠르다 to be fast at making calculations
- 셈이 섞갈리다 to be confused in the calculations
- 셈본 arithmetic
셈 can also refer to payment for good or services. It could also mean the bill or account itself. The Sino-Korean word for this is 지불.
- 셈 a bill, an account
- 셈 payment (of bills), settlement of accounts
- 셈하다 to pay a bill, settle an account
- 셈을 받다 to receive payment
- 셈을 치르다 to pay a bill
- 셈을 청산하다 to settle an account
- 셈을 치다 to figure (cast) accounts
- ~를 셈에 달다 to put something on an account
- 셈이 흐리다 to be hazy about the accounts
- 셈이 흐리터분하다 to be hazy about the accounts
- 셈이 분명하다 the be clear about the accounts
- 셈이 맞비겨떨어지다 for the accounts to be in balance
In some cases 셈 may mean good sense. The Sino-Korean word for this is 분별.
- 셈 sense, discretion, judgment
- 셈 없다 to have no sense
셈 can refer to the cause of some problem or circumstance. It may even refer to the circumstance itself. A well-used synonym is 셈판.
- 셈 the situation, circumstances; the reason, cause
- 셈속 the inside details; a hidden story
- 셈을 모르다 to not know the circumstances
- 나는 다섯 살 때부터 글자와 셈을 익혔다. I learned to write the alphabet and to count when I was five years old.
- 내가 셈을 치르겠다 I'll pick up the tab (pay the bill).
- 셈이 만원이 됩니다. The bill comes to 10,000 won.
- 셈을 끌다 to put off paying wages
- 셈을 차리다 to properly handle a situation or problem
- 셈을 치다 to calculate, do sums