Jeollanam-do, a province in the southwest corner of Korea, has 6,100 kilometers of coastline and some 2,000 islands, meaning its easy to find a beach just about anywhere. In fact, four counties---Goheung, Jindo, Shinan, and Wando---are comprised entirely or primarily of islands, meaning there are a staggering number of beaches and harbors to explore. Below is a list of the most notable beaches in the province, followed by a county-by-county breakdown of beaches in each gun.
Some beaches are more popular than others, of course, meaning some beaches are much more crowded than others. If you do not like sharing a beach with scores of families, take this into consideration. Likewise, although nature never closes, some beaches have designated open seasons, so please check for any restrictions that might be in place during your visit.
Top beaches in Jeollanam-do
- Balpo Beach in Goheung is known for its shallow waters and for the sand, which is considered good for "neuralgia and woman's disease," according to one source .
- Gamami Beach is located in Yeonggwang county and is a regional favorite. This kilometer-long beach is about an hour from Gwangju and it offers views of several outlying islands.
- Hanuneom Beach is on Bigeum-do, an island in Shinan county. The island is located about 55 kilometers from Mokpo, and was used as a filming location for the drama Spring Waltz.
- Manseongni Beach is proclaimed the only black sand beach in Korea, although one foreign visitor described it as a "very light shade of black." It is accessible via buses from Yeosu city, and is the site of a yearly festival each spring known as "black sand opens its eyes."
- Sagumi Beach is near Ttangkkeut, or "Land's Edge," the southernmost point on peninsular Korea.
- Songho Beach lies in Haenam county and is considered one of the most popular beaches in Korea. According to one source it reportedly had 25,000 visitors in a single day .
- There is a beach on Sorok-do island in Goheung county. During Japanese occupation, victims of Hansen's disease were quarantined on the island. Today one half of the island is closed to the public.
- Wonpyeong Beach is also on Bigeum-do in Shinan, and was also used as a filming location for the drama Spring Waltz. This beach is 4.3 kilometers long and is notable for the wild roses growing there.
- Yulpo Beach is in Boseong county and perhaps known more for the nearby Yulpo Spa and Green tea baths. The area is about 20 minutes away from the Boseong Bus Terminal.
Beaches by county
For a county-by-county breakdown, please visit List of beaches in Jeollanam-do.