Cheorwon (철원군, 鐵原郡, iron.field.county) is a county in Gangwon-do. The population as of 2004 was 49,908, including:
- 49,650 Koreans and
- 258 non-Koreans.
- Area: 899.82㎢
- Population density: 68/㎢(2002)
- Number of households: 17,331(2002)
- Administrative divisions: 4 eup, 3 myeon
- Location of county office: 649 Shincheorwon-ri, Galwal-eup, Cheorwon-gun (철원군 갈말읍 신철원리 649)
- County flower: 철쭉
- County tree: 잣나무
- County bird: 두루미
To the east is the county of Hwacheon, to the west are the counties of Yeoncheon and Pocheon, to the south as well is the county of Pocheon, and to the north are the counties of Pyeonggang and Gimhwa (in North Korea).
As Cheorwon is both far from the sea as well as located at a high altitude, it has a strong continental climate. It has high winds and a lot of rain, and is one of the three regions of the country that receives the most precipitation. Summer has a particularly large amount. The average yearly temperature is 9.5℃, the average in January is －7.9℃, and the average in August is 24.4℃, with 1,366.3mm of precipitation per year.
Places of interest
- Goseokjeong Pavilion, Jangheung-ri, Dongsong-eup, Cheolwon-gun, Gangwon-do. This pavilion was built in the Silla era but destroyed in the Korean War. It was rebuilt in 1971. It overlooks the scenic basalt cliff of the Hantangang. More information and directions can be found on the Tour2Korea site.
- The House of the Labor Party, Gwanjeon-ri, Cheorwon-eup, Cheorwon-gun, Gangwon-do. This imposing three-storey building was built by the North Koreans before the Korean War, when Cheorwon was under their control. It was gutted during the war, but the walls remain. Now it's south of the DMZ and a tourist attraction. See the Tour2Korea site for more information and travel details.
- The Iron Triangle or Cheorui Samgakji is an area featuring sites from the Korean War and the DMZ. Before the war the HQ of the North Korean army was located here. Now the DMZ has become a de facto wildlife refuge and many species of birds can be seen here. Access to the Iron Triangle is restricted - one needs to be escorted by the military. Have your passport with you. Tour DMZ has information.
phone number lookup