- You may also be looking for the sea of the same name, known as the East Sea in Korea and the Sea of Japan elsewhere.
Donghae (동해시, 東海市) is a city in Gangwon-do. The population as of 2004 was 101,048, including:
- 100,727 Koreans and
- 321 non-Koreans.
- Area: 180.01㎢
- Population density: 558/㎢(2005.3)
- Number of households: 36,565(2005.3)
- Administrative divisions: 10동
- Location of city hall: 806 Cheongok-dong, Donghae-shi (동해시 천곡동 806)
- City flower: 매화
- City tree: Ginkgo tree (은행나무)
- City bird: Seagull (갈매기)
To the north of the city is Okgye-myeon, to the west is Imgye-myeon, to the south is the city of Samcheok, and to the east is the sea. Donghae stretches for 17.8 km to the east and west, and 19.8 km to the north and south.
To the west of the city is the Taebaek Mountain Range, with mountains such as Cheongoksan (청옥산, 1,404 m) and Sangwolsan (상원산, 1,353) being the most prominent.
Due to the mountains to the west there is a strong northwest wind during the winter, but the sea also provides a moderating influence. The average yearly temperature is 12.6℃, the average in January is 3.7℃, and the average in July is 25.1℃. The average yearly precipitation is 1,103mm.
- See Accommodation in Donghae
Businesses and services
- See Businesses and services in Donghae
- See Medical services in Donghae
Restaurants and Bars
As the average Korean, Japanese, and Chinese restaurants are in abundance throughout Korea and are easy for foreigners to find, the following restaurants reflect a sampling of restaurants considered to be either popular or are western-friendly choices and other ethnic foods.
- See Shopping in Donghae
- See Tourism in Donghae
Donghae is located in an area with a highway extending from Gangneung on one side to Mukpo on the other. Donghae is the points from which ships take off for the island of Ulleung-do and Dokdo further east. There are two train stations, Donghae at the south end of town, and Mukho at the north end. Both are a ways from the center of town. The local bus system also runs buses into neighboring Samcheok and Okgye.