Geumjeong Sanseong (Fortress)
Following the Japanese invasion of 1592 and the Manchu invasions in 1627 and again in 1637 the construction of the fortress was recommended by the governor of Gyeongsang-do. The construction of fortress itself was started in 1701 and finished in 1703, the 29th year of the reign of King Sukjong. The construction of the walls was completed in 1707 They are about 17 km in length and 1.5 to 3 meters in height. They circle a surface of about 8.2 km². The fortress eventually fell due disuse due to its high maintenance cost until it was restored in 1807, the 7th year of the reign of King Sunjo. The West Gate was built that year and the other gates during the following year.
Today much of the walls, the four gates and four observation towers still stand. The area around the South Gate is a popular resting place. The West Gate, even though it is the most impressive of the four, is the less frequented one due to its lack of accessibility.
Since much of the fortress had been destroyed during the Japanese occupation (1910-1945), restoration work was started in 1972. In 1974 The East, West and South Gates were restored and the North Gate was rebuilt in 1989.
More restoration works, commissioned by the Busan City Council, are currently under way. This restoration is taking place over a period of 15 years and is divided in 3 phases of 5 years between 1996 and 2010.
- Phase 1 (1996-2000) covers the west region, going from the North Gate down to the West Gate.
- Phase 2 (2000-2005) covers the section of wall on the east side, running between the North Gate and the East Gate. It include the obsrevation towers 3 and 4.
- Phase 3 (2006-2010) covers everything south of the West and East Gates, including the South Gate and the observation towers 1 and 2.