- You may also be looking for the county of Geochang.
Gochang (고창군, 高敞郡, high.high.county) is a county in Jeollabuk-do. The population as of 2004 was 65,449, including:
- 65,203 Koreans and
- 246 non-Koreans.
Geography and general information
- Area: 606.88㎢
- Population density: 111/㎢ (2003.10)
- Number of households: 26, 159 (2003.10)
- Administrative divisions: 1 eup, 13 myeon
- Location of county office: 275-3, Gyochon-ri, Gochang-eup, Gochang-gun (고창군 고창읍 교촌리 275-3)
- City flower: 동백
- City tree: Ginkgo (은행나무)
- City bird: Dove (비둘기)
To the east of the county is a range of mountains in the 600 to 700 metre range, and starting from the north going to the east include mointains such as Bangmunsan (방문산, 方文山:620m) and Bangjangsan (방장산, 方丈山:734m).
The average yearly temperature is 12∼13℃, and the average yearly precipitation is 1,100∼1,200mm.
The county motto is 풍요로운 고창, which means "Bountiful Gochang."
Famous people from Gochang include the 20th-century poet Midang.
Gochang is home to one institution of higher education: Gochang Polytechnic College.
The temple of Seonunsa is located in Gochang. The dolmens of the county are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.