Gunwi (군위군, 軍威郡, military.authority.county) is a county in Gyeongsangbuk-do. The population as of 2004 was 29,157, including:
- 28,825 Koreans and
- 332 non-Koreans.
- Area: 614㎢
- Population density: 53/㎢ (2003)
- Number of households: 12,271 (2003)
- Administrative divisions: 1 eup, 7 myeon
- Location of county office: 229 Dongbu-ri, Gunwi-eup, Gunwi-gun (군위군 군위읍 동부리 229)
- County flower: 개나리
- County tree: Zelkova (느티나무)
- County bird: 왜가리
- Major agricultural products: Apples , pears, cucumbers, pine mushrooms, grapes, watermelons, garlic, onions
To the north is the county of Uiseong, to the east is the city of Yeongcheon, to the west is the city of Gumi, and to the south is the city of Daegu and the county of Chilgok. The county is much longer from east to west than from north to south, and is somewhat triangular in shape.
The well-known mountain Palgongsan is located at the southern tip of the county.
The county is located away from the sea and lacks its moderating influence, and the approximately 947 mm of rain that fall every year is lower than the average for the nation. The average yearly temperature is 12℃, the average temperature in January is －2.4℃, and the average temperature in August is 26.8℃.
Here are some random statistics:
- Number of public employees: 431 (one for every 79 people)
- Number of police: 109 (one for every 301 people)
- Number of teachers: 274 (one for every 10.6 students)
- Number of doctors: 8 (one for every 4,256 people)
- Roads: 260 km (74.5% paved)
Places and events of interest