Post Office Hours 우체국 업무시간
Post offices are usually open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 5pm during the winter, and until 1pm on Saturdays.
Post Office Services 우체국 서비스
Beyond purchasing stamps and sending letters and packages, post offices also offer services that include savings, sending money, and insurance. Stamps may also be purchased at "post handling centers" (우편취급소), designated with the signs you see at post offices, in addition to regular posts offices.
Postal Savings (우편저금)
You may keep your money with the post office the same way you would with a bank.
Public Utilities (공공요금)
You may pay public utility bills such as electricity, telephone, gas, and water.
Sending Money (송금)
Money may be sent to other individuals with a postal money order (우편환) or a postal transfer (우편대체).
International Postal Money Orders (국제우편환)
These may be used to send cash overseas.
Types of Post 우편물구분
Types of domestic postal matter include ordinary postal matter (통상우편물)(express delivery 빠른우편 and ordinary delivery 보통우편), and parcel post matter(소포우편물) (express parcel 빠른소포, ordinary parcel 보통소포). Express delivery is delivered the next day, and ordinary delivery arrives within four days. International postal matter is divided into ordinary postal matter, parcel post, and international express postal matter (국제특급우편물), and you have a choice whether to send by air or ship. You can send up to 30 kilograms, and cost varies by type, size, and weight. Call 130 (no prefix required) for information.
Bulk Volume of Post 우편물의 용적 및 용량
Ordinary Postal Matter
- Total of 90 millimeters in length, width, and thickness.
- Cylindrical matter can be no more than a total of one meter, calculated by
length plus twice the diameter. Cannot exceed 60 centimeters in length.
- Must be at least 14 centimeters in length and 9 centimeters in width.
- Cylindrical matter must be no more than 23 centimeters total in length and twice the diameter. Must be at least 14 centimeters.
- Less than two meters total in length, width, and thickness. May be no more than one meter in any direction.
- Packages must be under six kilograms, Domestic special express sack delivery (국내특급우편자루배달) must be within 30 kilograms.
Postal Code 우편번호
There are postal codes for every area to ensure quick and precise delivery of postal matter. You must include your postal code and that of the recipient on any letter or parcel you send.
When Postal Matter Is Not Delivered 우편물이 도착하지 않을 때
When postal matter that should arrive does not, and when postal matter sent is not received by the other party, inquire at your post office.
Domestic Postal Matter and Charges 국내 우편물과 수수료
Ordinary Postal Matter 통상우편물
- Up to 5g: 160won regular delivery, 240won express delivery
- Between 5-25g: 190won regular delivery, 280won express delivery.
- Between 25g to 50g: 210won regular delivery, 310won express delivery
- Every additional 50g: 90won, regular delivery, 130 express deilvery
International Post and Charges 국제우편물과 수수료
International Parcel Matter 국제소포 우편물
International Parcels are either ordinary parcel matter, non-standard parcel matter, insured parcel matter (보험취급소포우편물), or fragile parcel matter (취급주의소포우편물). Prices vary according to method sent, weight, area, and whether air or ship. Call 1300 (no prefix) for information about post office services.
International Express Post 국제특급우편
Urgent documents, product samples, and other such things can be conveniently sent by express mail service (EMS). You are allowed to send postal matter weighing up to 30kg. If you send something through EMS in the morning in Seoul, it can arrive anywhere in the world two to four days later. All post offices can handle EMS. Fill out the forms provided at the post office, and submit it with the written name and address of the sender and recipient, along with the description and quantity of the contents. Once properly filled out, paste the form on the postal matter you are sending.
Matter not handled as by EMS 취급않는 우편물
Coins and bills, money orders, collateral securities (유가증권류), dangerous matter, or matter that might contaminate or damage other postal matter.