Seomun Market (서문시장) is the largest traditional market in Daegu, and one of the 3 biggest in Korea. There are reportedly over 4000 shops in the indoor and outdoor sections of the market, ranging from vendors selling agricultural and farm goods, fish and seafood, to home appliances. The area is also famous for its fabrics, textiles, and clothes, which are some of Daegu's most popular exports.
Until the middle of the Joseon Dynasty, Daegu was just a small village. The current form of Seomun Market at that time, was called Daegu-jang Market and was located outside of the north gate of Daegu Fortress. In those days, all of Gyeongsang Province was divided into west and east provinces, with the boundary being the Nakdong River. In 1669, the two provinces were merged into one and the provincial office was established at, what is now known as, Gyeongsang-gamyeong Park. The establishment of administrative offices in this area greatly boosted the local economy, and as trade volume increased, Daegu-jang Market moved to exist outside of the west gate.
In those days, the market was held on the 2nd and the 7th day of every month, but as trade grew, it became a full-time market. By 1920, Seomun had grown to be considered one of the 4 major markets in Daegu, the other 3 being the Yangnyeongsi Herb Medicine Market, Dongmun Market, and Wolgyeonsan Market.
Seomun Market has numerous shopping areas, but most of it is broken down into 6 districts.
- 1st floor: Linen and cotton, silk, dyed fabric, curtains, blankets, nylon, synthetic fabric.
- 2nd floor: Silk, linen, and cotton, hanbok fabric, bedding.
- Basement: Seafood, seafood restaurants, traditional wedding food, ddeok, banchan, clothing.
- 1st floor: Bowls and dishes, mats, towels, underwear, clothes, footwear, butchers, blankets, ginseng, teas.
- 2nd floor: Lingerie, lace, knits, socks, blankets, towels, sweaters, sportswear.
- 3rd floor: Textiles for dresses and suits, denim, corduroy, velvet.
Dried Fish/Seafood Shopping District
- Dried seafood, octopus, shrimp, Alaskan pollack, squid, seaweed.
- 1st floor: Textiles for suits and dresses, women's wear, men's wear, mirrors, clocks, imported goods, baby products.
- 2nd floor: Textiles for suits, blankets, socks, towels, women's wear.
- 3rd floor: Men's wear, women's wear, swimming suits, casual wear, T-shirts, dress shirts, brand name products, leather goods, children's clothes.
- 1st floor: Tableware, ceramics, plastic goods, utensils, tables.
- 2nd floor: Men's and women's wear, designer clothes.
Dongsan Clothing Wholesale Market
- Basement: Tableware, kitchenware, cleaning goods.
- 1st floor: Men's and women's wear, lingerie, toys, carpets, footwear, maternity wear.
- 2nd floor: Men's and women's wear, children's wear.
- 3rd floor: Men's and women's wear, bags, fur, brand name clothes.
Hours of Operation
8:00 am - 8:00 pm. Closed on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of every month.
Take a subway to Seomun Market Station, come out of exit 5 and head north until you reach the market.
Seomun Market Tourist Information Center: 053-661-3266